Star Spangled Banner

Tahir Wood twood at uwc.ac.za
Tue Jun 4 00:43:47 PDT 2002

Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 11:17:37 -0700 From: joanna bujes <joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com> Subject: Re:Star Spangled Banner I understand what it means to struggle for justice, freedom, consciousness. What I don't understand is how these come to be equated with the interests of one particular country. Joanna

Throgh equivocation. Lacking any genuine commitment to internationalism.

It is quite fascinating for a non-American to watch all the hand wringing that's been going on: should I love 'my' country or should I hate it? But surely we can separate the country (and its people) from the state? I personally cannot imagine what it means to deeply hate one country and love another to the same extent. What can this mean, other than a greater attachment to specific cultural forms than to people per se?

Tahir