Star Spangled Banner

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Jun 5 07:13:08 PDT 2002

At 05:16 PM 6/4/2002 -0400, Diane wrote:

>You state that "...identity politics is reactionary in the truest
>sense." So then black activists and feminists are not really radical in
>their politics at all but rather reactionary? Are you saying that members
>of oppressed groups continue to be underrepresented and powerless because
>they shun technology? And furthermore if they become proficient in the
>latest technology everything else will just fall into place? Yeeeoow, now
>that sounds a bit reactionary!

Here we go again. I do not lump people into generic categories like black or feminist activists - - too broad and too vague to serve any analytic purposes. It depend what kind of activism. For example:

Black activist organizing a union - good Black activist organizing a Nation of Islam/ church activity - bad Black activist organizing a voter registration drive - good Black activist organizing a gangsta rap event - bad Black activists organizing a cult of their buddy serving time in state penitentiary - bad Black activists organizing a credit union to oust loan sharks - good Feminist activist organizing solidarity network to end sexism in third world countries - good Feminist activist working on a campaign of a pro-choice candidate for a political office - good Feminist activist organizing a union for sex workers - good Feminist activist divulging her sex experiences under the rubric "personal is political" - bad Feminist activist bashing modern medicine/technology under the rubric "male dominance" - bad Feminist activist organizing against pornography/immorality - bad

You get the drift, no? On the pain of being too literal, sex or skin color are not free tickets to the anything goes land. The actions of the self-styled black or feminist activists must be judged based on the merits of their actions.

wojtek