Star Spangled Banner

Diane Monaco dmonaco at pop3.utoledo.edu
Wed Jun 5 13:09:20 PDT 2002

At 10:13 AM 6/5/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>At 05:16 PM 6/4/2002 -0400, Diane wrote:
>
>>You state that "...identity politics is reactionary in the truest
>>sense." So then black activists and feminists are not really radical in
>>their politics at all but rather reactionary? Are you saying that
>>members of oppressed groups continue to be underrepresented and powerless
>>because they shun technology? And furthermore if they become proficient
>>in the latest technology everything else will just fall into
>>place? Yeeeoow, now that sounds a bit reactionary!
>

>Here we go again. I do not lump people into generic categories like black
>or feminist activists - - too broad and too vague to serve any analytic
>purposes.

Activists work toward the amelioration of bleak conditions for those oppressed and exploited. Generic lumping, as you call it, is needed to know if conditions are improving or worsening. Generic lumping tells us that in April 2002 the unemployment rate for black males (over 20) was 9.3 compared to 4.8 for white males. Or 37.3 for black males (16-19) compared to 15.3 for the same white male age group. It is beneficial for us to know this.

Generic lumping tells us that while women account for nearly 50 percent of the work force in the US they only account for 12 percent of the corporate officers. And as corporate officers 60 percent do not have children at home, in contrast to 60 percent of men in the same position who do indeed have children at home. We need to know this.

Are you willing to forgo the information "generic lumping" can give us to catch a few black activists who organize gangsta rap events?

Btw, isn't your use of the Polish peasant to make a point a sort of generic lump?

Diane