Singer's views

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 5 13:31:31 PDT 2002

> > Singer's calculus of "happiness" is that of a moron. There is no
>relation
> > between being a perfect object and happinesss.
>
>There are certainly a great number of maladies that can detract from human
>happiness. We've all endured our share, I'm sure. However, this doesn't
>even begin to touch upon Singer's strongest conclusion: entities with no
>conception of self aren't persons. To claim otherwise, one must make
>arguments that suspiciously mirror the ones made by those who protest the
>destruction of innocent embryos.
>
>-- Luke

Yes, that's part of why the abortion issue is so hard, philosophically. But Marta's is a slippery slope argument. First they came for the newborns, and I didn't speak up . . . . That doesn't depend on denying that newborns aren't persons because they lack a conception of--the future, isn't it, in Singer? not the self. Personally I don't think they are coming for the newborns, so it's mere philosophy to say that they would be morally on solid ground if they were to do so. jks