Singer's views

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Wed Jun 5 15:42:43 PDT 2002

>> > Singer's calculus of "happiness" is that of a moron. There is no relation
>>> between being a perfect object and happinesss.
>>
>>There are certainly a great number of maladies that can detract from human
>>happiness. We've all endured our share, I'm sure. However, this doesn't
>>even begin to touch upon Singer's strongest conclusion: entities with no
>>conception of self aren't persons. To claim otherwise, one must make
>>arguments that suspiciously mirror the ones made by those who protest the
>>destruction of innocent embryos.
>>
>>-- Luke
>>

>Yes, that's part of why the abortion issue is so hard,
>philosophically. But Marta's is a slippery slope argument. First
>they came for the newborns, and I didn't speak up . . . . That
>doesn't depend on denying that newborns aren't persons because they
>lack a conception of--the future, isn't it, in Singer? not the self.
>Personally I don't think they are coming for the newborns, so it's
>mere philosophy to say that they would be morally on solid ground if
>they were to do so. jks

No I don't think they are coming for ALL the newborns, just the disabled ones. So I would take the stand that Singer knows that they are not coming for the newborns and has found a way to philosophically/ethically allow parents of disabled babies to kill them. That's all.

Marta -- Marta Russell Los Angeles, CA http://www.disweb.org