sports broadcasting (was icarian falls . . .)

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Thu Jun 6 07:53:27 PDT 2002

On Wednesday, June 5, 2002, at 10:13 PM, Chuck Munson wrote:

> Jeffrey Fisher wrote:
>>
>> On Wednesday, June 5, 2002, at 05:22 PM, eric dorkin wrote:
>>
>>> Normally, I watch very little TV, but I watched the Lakers-Kings
>>> series
>>> on NBC and I would rather watch 1000 commercials than listen to Bill
>>> Walton. For the most part, I like the "True" Budweiser ads.
>>
>> bill walton is the undisputed champion of sports broadcasting garbahj.
>> what's fun though is listening to the other guy (whose name is escaping
>> me) basically call him an idiot right there on the air.
>>

> I was hoping the Kings would win and make it an interesting finals for a
> change.

so was i, but we all knew that the conf finals between the lakers and kings would be better than the championship--and it's shaping up that way. the kings had a better chance to beat the lakers than anyone.

> I think I'll stick with the Stanley Cup and World Cup for my thrills.
> I've
> only been a hockey fan for 6-7 years, but I think that any Stanley Cup
> final with any two teams is better than any other sports championship.

this is entirely a matter of taste. i grew up with basketball and football and still love them, even if college hoops is generally more fun than the nba.

> All the NBC NBA commentators are too self-important and insufferable for
> my tastes.

agreed, really. jim gray is the most obnoxious, but we don';t have to listen to him as much as we have to listen to blowhard bill walton.

btw, i asked my brother who the other guy is who's always calling walton an idiot, and he said, "you mean idiot #3? i can never remember his name, either." 'nuff said.

have we had the sports commentator discussion on this list? john mcenroe is the king of sports commentators. undisputed.

> The best NBA playoff game that I saw this year was the Kings-Mavericks
> game in which the Mavericks won. If every NBA game could be like that
> one!

missed the game. d'oh. but games 3-6 of that avs-wings series were great, eh?