sports broadcasting (was icarian falls . . .)

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Thu Jun 6 10:01:56 PDT 2002

Jeffrey Fisher wrote:

> > I was hoping the Kings would win and make it an interesting finals for a
> > change.
>
> so was i, but we all knew that the conf finals between the lakers and
> kings would be better than the championship--and it's shaping up that
> way. the kings had a better chance to beat the lakers than anyone.

It's too bad that the Kings didn't win. I get so tired of sports when one team wins year after year. Baseball has been like that lately with those damn Yankees.

Incidentally, when I was much younger I used to go to Kings games all the time when they played in Kansas City. This was before the Michael Jordan era, so my father could actually afford to take me to games. I remember players like Sam Lacey, Phil Ford, and Nate Archibald. I also remember when the Kings got some hot shot player from the "Phi Slamma Jamma" Houston team. Boy, he really sucked in the NBA.

> > I think I'll stick with the Stanley Cup and World Cup for my thrills.
> > I've
> > only been a hockey fan for 6-7 years, but I think that any Stanley Cup
> > final with any two teams is better than any other sports championship.
>
> this is entirely a matter of taste. i grew up with basketball and
> football and still love them, even if college hoops is generally more
> fun than the nba.

Of course this is a matter of taste, but I make this observation as a guy who is from Kansas City and was weaned on basketball, football, and baseball. I'm a big K.C. Royals fan, 'cause I went to games during the George Brett era. I'm a big college basketball fan. I was a senior at the University of Kansas when the men's team won the national championship with Larry Brown and Danny Manning. I currently don't care if Kansas wins or not, but my father is a big basketball fanatic (he was a student at Kansas when they won in 1954 and remembers when Wilt played before turning pro).

I just find soccer and hockey to be more exciting and interesting currently than the more popular sports. Baseball has really gone into the tubes.

> > All the NBC NBA commentators are too self-important and insufferable for
> > my tastes.
>
> agreed, really. jim gray is the most obnoxious, but we don';t have to
> listen to him as much as we have to listen to blowhard bill walton.
>
> btw, i asked my brother who the other guy is who's always calling walton
> an idiot, and he said, "you mean idiot #3? i can never remember his
> name, either." 'nuff said.
>
> have we had the sports commentator discussion on this list? john mcenroe
> is the king of sports commentators. undisputed.

I can't contribute much, because I think the role of the sports announcers is to announce the game, not entertain me. Kind of like good referees. The good ones aren't noticeable.

> > The best NBA playoff game that I saw this year was the Kings-Mavericks
> > game in which the Mavericks won. If every NBA game could be like that
> > one!
>
> missed the game. d'oh. but games 3-6 of that avs-wings series were
> great, eh?

I only got TV again in early May after not having it for a year. I've caught a few NHL playoff games, none of them memorable. Other than the Capitals run for the Stanley Cup several years ago, the NHL game I still remember is that triple overtime Stanley Cup finals game between Colorado and Florida several years ago. That was worth staying up into the wee hours of the night.

<< Chuck0 >>

Personal homepage -> http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/index.html Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)