Human trafficking (was economics 101)

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Thu Jun 6 21:26:16 PDT 2002

I do not think, however, that Western powers aid the resurgence of slavery, even inadvertently. At worst, they are doing half-assed efforts to stop it. The root of the problem, IMHO, is the overpopulation in the third world - which makes humans a cheap commodity, coupled with the race to the bottom to reduce labor cost.

wojtek

What kind of neo-Malthusian drivel is that? The '3rd World' is cold war racism talk. If anything the poorer countries have suffered a multidimensional *lack* of investment. If investment levels and priorities had been different for the last few hundred years we'd be looking at a very different population/ecosystem/technology/organizational/cultural dynamic. What they and we need now is massive investment in 'greener' technologies that are designed with acute attention to ecosystem dynamics while meeting human need and aspirations.

Ian