Patriotism, Hendrix

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Jun 8 08:04:04 PDT 2002

>I'm an inveterate patriot and an actual Nationalist -- I find myself
>constantly and instinctively rooting for Europe against America, Brits
>against Continentals, Welsh against English, North Wales against South, and
>one village against the next, and am certainly predisposed to tell people
>to fuck off if they try to point out that this is a rather silly and
>childish attitude. But it's not necessarily the best policy to indulge me
>in this sort of behaviour.
>
>dd

***** "Yes, Marcos is gay.

Marcos is gay in San Francisco, Black in South Africa, an Asian in Europe, a Chicano in Ysidro, an anarchist in Spain, a Palestinian in Israel, a Mayan Indian in the streets of San Cristobal, a Jew in Germany, a Gypsy in Poland, a Mohawk in Quebec, a pacifist in Bosnia, a single woman on the Metro at 10 p.m., a peasant without land, a gang member in the slums, an unemployed worker, an unhappy student, and, of course, a Zapatista in the mountains.

Marcos is all the exploited, marginalized, oppressed minorities resisting and saying, "Enough". He is every minority who is now beginning to speak and every majority that must shut up and listen. He is every untolerated group searching for a way to speak. Everything that makes power and the good consciences of those in power uncomfortable--this is Marcos."

- Subcommandante Insurgente Marcos of the EZLN (in response to an interviewer's question about his sexuality). *****

I'd change the beginning to "gay in Wyoming." -- Yoshie