Salaries

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Mon Jun 10 12:51:42 PDT 2002

At 03:02 PM 06/10/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>That said, this may also be a matter of discrimination. I'm sure an
>employer or three has used this to justify sex discrimination with respect
>to salary. I do believe that categorical discrimination is intrinsically
>wrong; is discrimination on the basis of individual characteristics moral?

Bottom line, I think an hour of my life is worth an hour of anybody else's life, so in that sense, discrimination on the basis of individual characteristics is not moral. In general, people do the best they can with what they've got: some are more intelligent, some are better educated, some are more talented. But everyone can contribute in some way. If peer pressure is enough to get you toilet trained, I would guess that it would be enough to make most people pull their weight in getting work done in a just society. So, I think creating a society in which people, share work and risks and benefits and rewards would be terrific.

Joanna