Insight needed: why is Bill Maher such an ass?

Marco Anglesio mpa at the-wire.com
Tue Jun 11 10:42:28 PDT 2002

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Doug Henwood wrote:

> eric dorkin wrote:
>
> >as a libertarian, I think he would be predisposed to the notion of self-rule,
>
> There are real principled libertarians, and then there are what I
> once heard characterized as the "I got mine, so fuck you" kind. I
> think Maher's one of the latter.

That reminds me of the quip about defining libertarianism/objectivism in seven words: "Hey jack, I got mine, fuck you".

Digression aside, Maher is almost certainly one of the latter; unfortunately, he's in a tiny minority of the latter. That said, that kneejerk conservativism is hardly limited to the political right. I've also heard a quip that the difference between a conservationist and a developer is that the developer wants to build in a pristine location, whereas a conservationist already lives there.

Marco