Insight needed: why is Bill Maher such an ass?

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Wed Jun 12 09:29:07 PDT 2002

>There are real principled libertarians, and then there are what I
>once heard characterized as the "I got mine, so fuck you" kind. I
>think Maher's one of the latter.

Maher is not even consistent there-- he actually goes liberal on a lot of issues when his guard goes down; when conservatives go off on the poor, Maher will actually defend a lot of health and welfare policies, even as he rants about those ripping the system off. He is more of the "deserving poor" liberalism, but actually meaning it, with a whole bunch of fucked up views kicking around.

-- Nathan Newman