Islam and Democracy

Michael McIntyre mmcintyr at depaul.edu
Tue Jun 11 12:07:41 PDT 2002

Inglehart is WAY too enamored of survey research. Ask the same question in drastically different contexts, and people may have very different ideas of what you're getting at. But I don't think he's any sort of neo-con. Most of his post-materialist stuff has been used to explain new social movements in Europe, particularly the greens. If there's any spin in the stuff I've seen in APSR, I'd say it would be mildly pro-NSM. I would guess he thinks of himself as a wertfrei scientist, very much in the Michigan mold, and is hence careless about his collaborators. (Their values don't matter, only their r-squareds matter...)

But Justin went to Michigan...he ought to know the guy....

MM

>>> debsian at pacbell.net 06/11/02 01:39PM >>>

The Richard Morin column is always one of the better reads in the Wash Post.

Not, that this discredits the findings,heh, in the least, but, Ronald Inglefart (heh, heh, meant, hart!) has a checkered set of co-workers in his past. Co-wrote some articles, if memory serves, with right-wing "expert", Robert Lichter that groups like Accuracy In Media always cite about supposed left-liberal Media Elites. Inglehart, if you look in back issues of the AJS also has some interesting research on, "Post-Materialist, " values which he gives a neo-con interpretation of.

Cited often in the magazine of the American Enterprise Institute. Michael Pugliese