Posting whole articles (was Re: Abortion Training)

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall_2 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 12 11:42:34 PDT 2002

>They are already starting to sue
> people for linking to
> anything other than their home page, based on the
> argument that bypassing
> any page deprives them of income and thus is a
> copyright infringement.

Heh, now I feel guilty for posting partial articles...how much is too much?

Hyperlinking takes center stage in court case

By The Associated Press <http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/2002/06/10/web-links.htm> Nicolai Lassen considers linking such a fundamental element of the World Wide Web that he sees nothing wrong with creating a service around linking to news articles at more than 3,000 other sites.

Danish publishers, however, equate such linking with stealing — and have gone to court to stop it.

The case, scheduled for hearings in Copenhagen later this month, is among the latest to challenge the Web's basic premise of encouraging the free flow of information through linking.

Requiring permission before linking could jeopardize online journals, search engines and other sites that link — which is to say, just about every site on the Internet.

If the Web's creators hadn't wanted linking, "they would have called it the World Wide Straight Line," said Avi Adelman, a Website operator involved in a dispute over linking to The Dallas Morning News.

Full story: <http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/2002/06/10/web-links.htm>

===== Kevin Dean Buffalo, NY ICQ: 8616001 AIM: KDean75206 Buffalo Activist Network http://www.buffaloactivist.net http://www.yaysoft.com