Posting whole articles (was Re: Abortion Training)

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Wed Jun 12 11:26:18 PDT 2002

Over at the National Lawyers Guild Drug Policy committee, we've been spending quite a bit of time on this issue, largely because there isa wonderful resource, the Media Awareness Project that maintains a large database of media articles on the drug war. (at www.mapinc.org). The media types are getting more aggressive, but posting links is not going to help in the long run. They are already starting to sue people for linking to anything other than their home page, based on the argument that bypassing any page deprives them of income and thus is a copyright infringement.

The law on non-profit archives of sites is unclear, but I guarantee that if all the sites now posting full articles retreat to linking, then the media folks will merely move en masse to lawsuits over linking. The law is actually unsettled here, so a premature retreat is just going to encourage the courts to ratify that retreat before we've actually lost completely in the courts.

That is actualy the strategy of the media corps-- intimidate everyone so they can argue that "practice" is not to post full articles, even in the nonprofit world.

The other problem with links is that they disappear rapidly, meaning that archives become useless. People see the discussion but can't see the original article.

If Marco is feeling threatened, we might have to cave unless we can find an alternative host.

Nathan Newman

nathan at newman.org http://www.nathannewman.org http://www.nathannewman.org/log/ (News & Views WebLog) ----- Original Message ----- From: "Marco Anglesio" <mpa at the-wire.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 10:56 AM Subject: Posting whole articles (was Re: Abortion Training)

All,

Despite any philosophical objections you may have to copyright, please try to sum up in your own words or quote a relevant fragment (thus falling under fair use) of an online article. Post a link to direct people to the whole thing. Five minutes work, tops, is not a lot to ask.

The archive maintainer, that being me, has already received a few nasty letters from people defending their copyright and recently one presumed nutbar claiming to represent AOL Time Warner's legal department. I can only assume that media conglomerates are going to get tougher in this area one day. I'd like LBO-Talk to survive it.

Marco