NJ Dems Supporting Unions

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Wed Jun 12 16:58:42 PDT 2002

The unions pay quite a bit for such loyalty, in both money and volunteer labor. The latter is the coin that gives democratic movements power, although the money helps energize it, since mobilizing volunteer labor is not always cheap.

But there is truth that money is speech and there is no reason that the working class cannot compete with the wealthy. They may have far more income per capita, but there are vast numbers more who have an interest in restraining corporate power. Unions are one of the main vehicles for collecting the small sums per capita and channelling them effectively into the political system. That is why the corporate types hate them so much in the political realm.

My argument is only that the unions are getting value for their money.

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org http://www.nathannewman.org http://www.nathannewman.org/log/ (News & Views WebLog)