Padilla

eric dorkin eric_dorkin at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 14 09:52:36 PDT 2002

How about the LAPD investigation? How about the credible allegations that the CIA was involved in drug trafficing in LA? How about the government's systematic violations of the Boland amendment? Whenever you have true believers, they are willing to do "whatever it takes" even if that means going outseide the law.

Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> wrote: At 03:33 PM 6/14/2002 +0000, justin wrote:

>Nor so. That's not a civil liberties infringmenr. Does it make you feel
>better that thousands of people are being held incommunicado for months
>without being charged, that lawyers are indictedfor counselling their
>clients, that the cops can search your house in secret without a warrant?
>That's police state stuff.

I am yet to see that happening. Or to be more precise, there are cases of abuse of power by the police, but I am yet to see that happening in a systematic way. Furthermore, there is a difference between investigation and harassment - it is one thing to conduct an investigation of a group identified as high risk, and another thing to harass that group.

>So, better fascist than free?

I do not think this is a real possibility in this country in any meaningful sense. If this country faces any real danger, it is anarcho-individualism of the I-have-the-goddam-right-to-do-whatever-I-want-and-do-it-in-your-face variety.

wojtek