Padilla

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Jun 14 09:48:57 PDT 2002

At 03:33 PM 6/14/2002 +0000, justin wrote:

>Nor so. That's not a civil liberties infringmenr. Does it make you feel
>better that thousands of people are being held incommunicado for months
>without being charged, that lawyers are indictedfor counselling their
>clients, that the cops can search your house in secret without a warrant?
>That's police state stuff.

I am yet to see that happening. Or to be more precise, there are cases of abuse of power by the police, but I am yet to see that happening in a systematic way. Furthermore, there is a difference between investigation and harassment - it is one thing to conduct an investigation of a group identified as high risk, and another thing to harass that group.

>So, better fascist than free?

I do not think this is a real possibility in this country in any meaningful sense. If this country faces any real danger, it is anarcho-individualism of the I-have-the-goddam-right-to-do-whatever-I-want-and-do-it-in-your-face variety.

wojtek