Michael Tigar

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 15 07:24:34 PDT 2002

I can't
>remember now if Tigar had tried to apply to Douglas for a clerkship or
>that was just part of a dinner table discussion with Ken and Bill and
>their folks. Perhaps Douglas didn't have a position open at the
>time. But at any rate Tigar ended up applying to Brennan, was
>accepted, and then was rejected by Warren or some committee of other
>justices.

My understanding of the story is that Brennan revoked the offer when he was informed that Tigar was a commie. I don't know exactly how S.Ct clerkships work, but on the federal district and appellate levels, a judge would mortally offended if other judges dared to tell him or her whom not to hire as a clerk.

>People like Tigar and others should be sitting on the Supreme Court,
>or working their way through senior positions in the federal and state
>systems, or part of the elected political establishment. Instead we
>have an ocean of utterly despicable mediocrities---obvious ideological
>beneficiaries of the much touted merit system of an open, free, and
>competitive society, blah, blah, blah..

Well, I agree that Tigar ought to be on the S.Ct. It's not true, alas, that all we have are mediocrities. Justices Scalia and Rehnquist, Judges Posner and Kosinski, and their ilk, are very able. Unfortunately . . . .

jks