fundamentalism

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Mon Jun 17 06:22:57 PDT 2002

Hi,

How nice to have Charles dredging up old posts just to trash me.

Thanks ever so much.

Two comments.

1). Is it sensible to say that Calvinism was created by secret agents of capitalist elites and therefore is not a real religious current? Or would it be more sensible to say that capitalism and Calvinism interacted in a way that produced a specific variant of Protestant Christianity? Plug in Wahhabism here.

2). Citing theological arguments from versions of Islam that consider Wahhabism a heresy is a good way to find conspiratorial allegations, but hardly a sound research methodology. I can find Protestant websites that call the Catholic Church the Whore of Babylon and Satan's agents on earth. So what?

I understand that Wahhabism is unpopular among most Muslims. We have discussed this on the list. It is discussed in my web page collection on the subject. Please do not strain so hard to crush the gnat of my opinions. They are just opinions.

-Chip Berlet

See: http://www.publiceye.org/frontpage/911/wahhabism.html http://www.publiceye.org/frontpage/911/clerical-911.htm