Alterman on Chomsky

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Jun 17 09:35:03 PDT 2002

>They are the most effort-free ways to garner
>"legitimacy" by trashing the wacky Noam (who of course
>isnt smart enough to realize how foolish such
>statements would have been).

Ahem...

Chomsky's statement that the U.S. government in the 1990s chose the Bosnian Muslims as its proxy force for geostrategic reasons was really stupid.

And I ran across a quote from page 291 of _After the Cataclysm_: "If a serious studyŠis someday undertaken, it may well be discoveredŠthat the Khmer Rouge programs elicited a positive responseŠbecause they dealt with fundamental problems rooted in the feudal past and exacerbated by the imperial system.Š Such a study, however, has yet to be undertaken..." To claim in 1979 that the character of the Khmer Rouge regime is still open to debate seems to me to be beyond the stupid, and into the malevolent.

Brad DeLong