Alterman on Chomsky

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Mon Jun 17 10:25:47 PDT 2002

And it's not, ah, stupid to assume that US interest in the former Yugoslavia was innocent of geostrategic considerations?

And we should insist that it is "malevolent" in 1979 to analyze and debate what happened in Cambodia? That is of course just what the toadies to the US regime were doing then, too, as Chomsky mentions in the continuation of the paragraph you cite:

"Such a study [i.e., of the impact of Western imperialism on Cambodian peasant life], however, has yet to be undertaken. The West is much more concerned to excise from history the imperial role and to pretend that the history of contemporary Cambodia begins in April 1975 in a manner that is disconnected from the imperial legacy and must be explained by the lunacy of 'nine men at the center' who were systematically massacring and starving the population in a form of 'autogenocide' that surpasses the horrors of Nazism."