Alterman on Chomsky

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Tue Jun 18 05:38:41 PDT 2002

Hi,

Most of the attacks on Chomsky over Faurrison misrepresent what happened, but so did the apologia in 'Manufacturing Consent.' Chomsky was tricked into writing a defense of Faurrison in a general sense and then it was used as the introduction for a book defending Faurrison. Chomsky caught it at the last minute, and forced the cover to not mention his work as an introduction, but the inside title page still does because it was already printed. I have the copy in French.

However Chomsky and his allies continue to misrepresent who Faurrison was, a key figure in the Holocuats denial industry, not a relatively apolitical liberal. 'Manufacturing Consent' trvializes the entire incident.

Furthermore, Chomsky knows his name is still used to suggest he questions the Holocaust (he does not), and he has refused to make a clear statement condemning how he was tricked by Holocuast deniers.

This is a minor issue compared to his disreputable critics who misrepresent what happened in the Faurrison affair.

I researched the Faurrison/Chomsky incident for an article, and found original letters in an archive of a former (deceased) staffer at the Holocaust denial Institute for Historical Review discussing how Faurrison could exploit the new book with the Chomsky introduction.

Chomsky was scammed, and will not take responsibility for what happened and how his name is still abused. His argument is that since he did not initiate the scam, nor has he ever denied the Holocaust (all true) that he need not directly respond. My argument is that this represents a type of aloof academic arrogance that does not recognize the separate reality of how is name is misused.

None of this should be used to suggest Chomsky's other work is not worthy of great respect.

-Chip

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]On Behalf Of N P Childs Sent: Monday, June 17, 2002 10:53 PM To: lbo-talk-digest at lists.panix.com Subject: Subject: RE: Alterman on Chomsky

The Canadian NFB film 'Manufacturing Consent' pretty much did in the Faurrison rap, can't remember what it said about the Khmer. Others have covered the Khmer thingy, I haven't read what Hitchens had to say.

The film is worth seeing BTW for an intro to 'Chomsky Lite'.

PC

Subject: RE: Alterman on Chomsky

Didn't Hitchens put together a detailed debunking of the Khmer Rouge rap on Chomsky? Or was it the Faurisson affair, or both? Would appreciate links to references.

mbs

N Paul Childs 5967-157 Avenue Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T5Y 2P3

e-fax 413-683-9725 _______________________________________________________ 'Gee thanks, your validation means oh, so much to me'.

-Art 'Bones' MacDesalavo