Alterman on Chomsky

Gar Lipow lipowg at sprintmail.com
Tue Jun 18 08:05:48 PDT 2002

Brad De Long squirmed.

>> >How does one have one's work included in a book "without permission"?

>Aren't there people in black robes whose job it is to make sure that

>your copyrighted work shows up where and when you want it to?

>>By being a consistent freedom of speech absolutist who refuses to

>sue for libel, slander or copyright violation. Most of us our not

>that absolute in our commitment to free speech. Noam is.

>Ah. So it was included in the book "with permission," not "without permission"...

You know you are really excercising bad faith. Suppose some Randite wrote a book arguing the the poor and unemployed should be enslaved in a

revival of bond slavery , as a solution to our social problems. Suppose you had put some work of yours into the public domain - because you thought it should be widely circulated; suppose the Randite used this as introduction to her book.

By your logic, I could then say "Brad De Long, notorious for the introduction he wrote to June Galt's pro-slavery 'Work makes Free'".

It is up to you of course; I have always thought of you as a reaonable man with whom I have severe disagreements. You have a lot of other basis's for criticizing Noam - ones I disagree with, but which are not simply weasely distortion. I suspect you have always thought of yourself as a reasonable man also; if you insist on maintaining this particular argument you are not being reasonable.