Alterman on Chomsky

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Jun 18 09:54:33 PDT 2002

>Brad De Long squirmed.

>>Aren't there people in black robes whose job it is to make sure that
>>your copyrighted work shows up where and when you want it to?
>
>>>By being a consistent freedom of speech absolutist who refuses to
>>sue for libel, slander or copyright violation. Most of us our not
>>that absolute in our commitment to free speech. Noam is.
>

>>Ah. So it was included in the book "with permission," not "without
>permission"...
>
>You know you are really excercising bad faith. Suppose some Randite
>wrote a book arguing the the poor and unemployed should be enslaved
>in a revival of bond slavery , as a solution to our social
>problems. Suppose you had put some work of yours into the public
>domain - because you thought it should be widely circulated; suppose
>the Randite used this as introduction to her book.

Well, I certainly wouldn't write--in the last paragraph of that work:

"...is it true that X is an advocate of slavery? As noted earlier, I do not know his work very well. But from what I have read -- largely as a result of the nature of the attacks on him -- I find no evidence to support such a conclusion. Nor do I find credible evidence in the material that I have read concerning him, either in the public record or in private correspondence. As far as I can determine, he is a relatively apolitical liberal of some sort. In support of the charge of slavery advocacy, I have been informed that X is remembered by some schoolmates as having expressed pro-slavery sentiments in the 1940s, and as having written a letter that some interpret as having pro-slavery implications at the time of the Algerian war. I am a little surprised that serious people should put such charges forth -- even in private -- as a sufficient basis. I am aware of nothing in the public record to support such charges..."

But Chomsky did.