The anti-imperialism of fools

Tahir Wood twood at uwc.ac.za
Wed Jun 19 00:42:36 PDT 2002

Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 12:31:04 -0400 From: Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> Subject: Re: FW: The anti-imperialism of fools Is not the "struggle for Palestinian liberation" (which includes, inter alia, blowing up school buses) overwhelmingly supported by the members of this list? wojtek

Whoa there! I was starting to get a little sympathetic towards your argument, but now you've really blown it. You need to separate things a little. I supported the struggle for black liberation unstintingly here in SA and was a member of the African National Congress for a few years (not post-1994 however), this despite car bombings in streets, machine gunning of people in church, etc. I support the liberation of Palestinians without any reservation whatsoever, and indeed any other liberation you might care to mention, without supporting terrorism. Where you and I agree is that there is such a thing as terrorism (not everyone agrees with this), but where we disagree is where you imply that it is enough to discredit the cause of liberation. Of course there's lots more that could be said here (e.g. don't nationalist movements always resort to terrorism, etc. etc.) but the principle that because a member of an oppressed group does something bad, therefore the whole cause of lib! er! ation of that group is thereby invalidated ... come on now, you are surely enough of a leftist to retract that sentiment, no? Tahir