FW: The anti-imperialism of fools

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Jun 19 07:26:36 PDT 2002

At 06:50 PM 6/18/2002 -0400, yoshie wrote:

>One can struggle for a cause without approving of _all_ the means used by
>_all_ who profess to be struggling for the same cause.
>
>In Palestinian struggles or anything else, leftists, in my opinion, should
>approve of only the means that do not violate laws of warfare.
>--

I think it goes beyond the means. I find the goal of establishing an ethnic/religious state reprehensible. If the Palestinians were struggling for a secular, multi-ethnic, equal opportunity state of Israel (e.g. as the Civil Rights activists did in this country), my sympathies would be different. But an Islamic state or an Arafatesque dictatorship? No, thanks.

This, btw, also applies to Chechnya, Basque, Tibet, Kashmir, Kosovo and similar nationalist-separatist movements.

wojtek