FW: The anti-imperialism of fools

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Jun 19 07:47:24 PDT 2002

At 01:32 AM 6/19/2002 -0400, pms wrote:
>Look I think blowing people up sucks. And I'm sure if I knew the stories of
>people killed the pity would be more visceral. But what about the time, the
>months before the suicide bombing. The crazy agressive statements by
>Israeli military leaders that would show up in the paper, the Palestinian
>boys shot through the head, the settlements steadily growing(and who knows
>what the water situation might be), not to mention a right-wing crazy
>killing the old leader and seeing that leader replaced by the head
>right-wing crazy? Certain elements in Israel were intent on provoking the
>Palestinians into a response. I can't imagine what other response they
>thought they'd get.

I did not hear of the North Vietnamese blowing up busloads of French or US civilians, even though they suffered incomparably more than Palestinians, or for that matter, any other Arab nation. I think it is the wounded fundamentalist sense of superiority that is behind Islamic terrorism - the same kind of stuff that fueled the Nazi barbarism during WWII.

wojtek