Alterman on Chomsky

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 19 07:59:06 PDT 2002

Brad, if you think athat Chomsky is a holocaust denier--either with respect to the Nazi Judeocide or the KR--you are losing your grip on reality. You may not be satisfied by the way he has handled his ideologically motivated critics. Mayhe you think you would have done better. Maybe you would have. But if you had an infinitesmal fraction of Chomsky's track record forstanding up with awe-insoiring bravura,a t graet personal cost, to the good and the true, then you might be in a better position to carp. I don't denigrate your work, except when you are shilling for the Clinton gang; no one here, perhaps no one in the country except for Ralph Nader, in his different way, is remotely comparable. Not me, for sure. Now, there is simply no chance that any honest person who is familiar with a reasonable fraction of Chomsky's writing and work could possibly construe him to believe what you say you are coming to believe. That leads to theconclusion that you are being (a) dishonest, (b) unreasonable, or (c) are unfamiliar with the bofy of his work. Because you claim to be familiar with it, and because I am reluctant to ascribe dishonesty to you, I conclude that you are being unreasonable. As Cromwell said to Parliament at one point, I beseech you by the bowels of Christ, think that you may be mistaken.

What's this about White? Personally, I don't believe it about Hiss either, but I suppose reasonable people can disagree about that. I'm not a fundamentalist on the subject: I was persuaded by Verona that Julius R actually did commit espionage.

jks

jks