Plato's Republic

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jun 20 10:38:36 PDT 2002

dave dorkin wrote:

> I'll try this a bit differntly; I think the selection
> of fundamentals themselves is largely a function of
> that coercion and that what one enforces is in fact
> directly related to that selection. I remain agnostic
> as to whether must be true everywhere and always and
> note that to the extent that one has different enough
> conceptions in the same polity, the polity breaks down
> as antinomical conceptions can not coexist peacefully.
> If you want specifics, I'll give it a shot...

I think perhaps your fingers outsped your brain here. Before the promised expansion into the specific (which I would like to see) I would like slightly expanded restatement of your abstract point here. E.g., I'm sure you didn't mean to write this: "I remain agnostic as to whether must be true everywhere"; whatever you intended got lost before it reached your fingers. :-)

Carrol