The Future of Plagiarism

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jun 22 08:09:36 PDT 2002

An interesting article (book review) in current NLR which compares opens source computer code to open source prose. It evoked for me from the deep abyss of time one passage in my dissertation. I was discussing various critics of Pope who damned the _Essay on Criticism_ for unoriginality and those who labored to claim originality for it, and I included parenthetically the proposition that "we are more interested in a critic's rightness than in his newness." Why ask whether an essay or book is copied or not if it is interesting, and if someonce can pull together an interesting or useful essay by combining without attribution direct borrowings from many sources, would that not be as legitimate as using open source code for a new program? What's wrong with plagiarism as a principle of composition? After all, it gave us the _Iliad_.

I haven't checked to see whether the text of Capital 3 is on line, but are there not possibilities in just beginning to rewrite that incomplete work rather than engaging in endless textual commentary, piecemeal corrections heavily footnoted, etc? Treat Capital 3 as though it were the linux core.

Comment?

Carrol