The future of plagiarism

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Sat Jun 22 22:15:50 PDT 2002

At 11:09 AM 06/22/2002 -0400, Carrol wrote:
>An interesting article (book review) in current NLR which compares opens
>source computer code to open source prose. It evoked for me from the
>deep abyss of time one passage in my dissertation. I was discussing
>various critics of Pope who damned the _Essay on Criticism_ for
>unoriginality and those who labored to claim originality for it, and I
>included parenthetically the proposition that "we are more interested in
>a critic's rightness than in his newness." Why ask whether an essay or
>book is copied or not if it is interesting, and if someonce can pull
>together an interesting or useful essay by combining without attribution
>direct borrowings from many sources, would that not be as legitimate as
>using open source code for a new program? What's wrong with plagiarism
>as a principle of composition? After all, it gave us the _Iliad_.
>
>I haven't checked to see whether the text of Capital 3 is on line, but
>are there not possibilities in just beginning to rewrite that incomplete
>work rather than engaging in endless textual commentary, piecemeal
>corrections heavily footnoted, etc? Treat Capital 3 as though it were
>the linux core.

I'm totally with you Carroll. I'm assuming that the current condemnation of plagiarism rests mainly on the primacy of private property and the need to support that in all domains.

When I was teaching at SUNY Plattsburgh, I was placed on a committee whose job it was to come up with a good definition of plagiarism so that instances of it would be easier to prosecute. So, endless hours of twattle trying to figure out how to combine the requirement for originality with the reality that maybe 1% of our students had the capacity to do anything original and with the other reality that 99% of instruction focused on making them learn and regurgitate ideas developed by others....... Finally, out of my mind with boredom, I argued that in the real (non-academic) world, almost everything was plagiarized and that no one could accomplish anything much if they didn't plagiarize. I'd say that at least 1/2 of everything I've written for the computer industry has been plagiarized. I mean, how many ways are there to describe asynchronous communication? or semaphores? or global variables? ...So, I said, maybe the thing to do is to teach them how to plagiarize well!!! Everybody looked at me like I had two heads and went on talking as if I didn't exist.

Plagiarism, in short, is a fine principle for composition...especially forced composition. But even if not forced, in its more respectable form of "imitation," it is the soil out of which all art grows.

As for copyright protection, it advertizes itself as a boon for artists and inventors but in reality it's corporations that are largely protected by it. I suppose the poster-boy for copyright protection is Mozart since the poor sod could only count on making money for the first performance of any piece, after which it was shamelessly ripped off by others, but this is only because he managed to be born in a no man's land between patronage and copyright. Better than copyright would be social support for artists, scientists, craftsmen.

Long live Lobatchevsky!!!! (Just remember not to shade your eyes, but plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize!!!)

Joanna