Plato - querry on lit

JCWisc at aol.com JCWisc at aol.com
Sat Jun 22 22:26:49 PDT 2002

In a message dated 06/22/2002 11:54:10 PM Central Daylight Time, jkschw at hotmail.com writes:

> There's also a
> collection called Marx and Aristotle that has some interesting work it. I
> don't know what the ancient phil scholars would think of it.

I am philosophically sub-literate, but for what it's worth, there's an essay by one Scott Meikle in _The Cambridge Companion to Marx_ (CUP, 1991) called "The metaphysics of substance in Marx" that is mostly about the relation between the bearded guy and the Aristotelian tradition ("...from Aristotle and the peripatetics through the Arabs, Al Farabi, and Averroes, to St. Thomas Aquinas and the medieval philosophers, and on to Baruch Spinoza, Gottfried Leibnitz, G.W.F. Hegel, and Marx"). According to Meikle, "Marx was an Aristotelian in metaphysics, and unless we keep this in mind we cannot appreciate his work." (p. 296)

Jacob Conrad