Putin's popularity

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Tue Jun 25 07:24:02 PDT 2002

I think this shows pretty well why Putin is so popular among most people in Russia.

Chris Doss The Russia Journal --------------------------- Putin Faces Few Personal Questions June 24, 2002 By JUDITH INGRAM

MOSCOW (AP) - President Vladimir Putin deftly fielded questions Monday ranging from Russia's all-out campaign to join the World Trade Organization to ways to end vote-buying in far-flung regions. But unlike previous Kremlin news conferences, Putin was not asked about his sports regimen or pet dogs.

``My great advantage is that up to now, I can feel how the rank-and-file citizen lives,'' Putin said Monday, when asked whether he gets any feedback from the Russian people. ``I have lived in the presidential residence for two years but for almost 30 years ... I lived in a communal apartment in St. Petersburg.''

Communal arrangements are a single apartment in which several families share one kitchen and one bath. .....

He became impatient when a foreign reporter asked which members of Russia's political elite supported him.

``The people,'' Putin snapped. ``That's enough.''