fighting the dollar

rayrena at realtime.net rayrena at realtime.net
Tue Jun 25 09:24:55 PDT 2002

pms wrote:

>Anyone know what all these laws are that need to be "canceled"?

My dim understanding: The Negev laws are tax breaks for the residents of the Negev region (southern Israel), which is mostly desert. The ostensible reason is that the land is harsh but makes up a huge portion of Israel's land mass, so the tax breaks encourage people to settle there and try to make the land more livable instead of settling in Jerusalem or other populated areas. Critics (as newspaper journalists like to say when they want the critic, usually the USG, to remain anonymous) say it's vote-getting pork for Labor and Shas, whose constituents, kibbutzniks and Sephardic Jews, are the main residents of Negev.

Israel has tax breaks for children. But the Large Families Law gives huge tax breaks for families with more than four children. So if you have two kids, you get X amount for each one, but if you have five kids you get 2X for each one. (These ratios are probably not exactly correct, but they capture the general principle.) These laws are vote-getting pork for the Likud, ultra-Orthodox, and other fanatical parties.

I don't know what the Governor's Law is.

Now I'm waiting for Bryan Atinsky or Michael Pollak to tell me where I'm wrong.

Eric