Communism

Stannard67 at aol.com Stannard67 at aol.com
Fri Jun 28 11:49:10 PDT 2002

In a message dated 06/28/2002 12:36:22 PM Mountain Daylight Time, paul at prescod.net writes:

> This statement does not correspond with my experience or understanding
> of the world. Police, judges and jailers exist in large part to handle
> crimes of passion that have nothing to do with class conflict.

The original statement is a bit simplistic, but that doesn't mean there is not a socioeconomic context to crime, including crimes of passion. See the following:

Lynch, Michael (Rediscovering Criminology: "Lessons from the Marxist Tradition," in Marxist Sociology: Surveys of Contemporary Theory and Research , ed. Donald McQuarie and Patrick McGuire. New York: General Hall Press.

Messerschmidt, James (1986) Capitalism, Patriarchy and Crime (Totowa, N.J.: Rowman and Littlefield.

Simpson, Sally (1989) "Feminist Theory: Crime and Justice," Criminology 27: 605-632.

Greenberg, David F. (ed.) Crime and Capitalism (Temple Univ Press; 1993)

stannard