Determinism

R rhisiart at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 28 16:07:47 PDT 2002

i believe what you're describing, joe, could be called the religion of marxism. marx had sense enough to say he wasn't a marxist. the marxist fanatics dogmatically picking over Marx's writings, like so many medieval scholars nitpicking biblical interpretations, renders the life, intelligence and vitality of marx into a dead, useless lump of words.

by the way, does anyone care to comment on Marx's anti-Semitism? or have i missed that discussion?

----- Original Message ----- From: Joe R. Golowka To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Sent: Friday, June 28, 2002 11:33 AM Subject: Re: Determinism

> Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 01:44:15 -0700
> From: "R" <rhisiart at earthlink.net>
> Subject: Re: Determinism
>
> Marx's historical determinism spoils the whole marxist thing for me;
> economics, social interaction and life isn't that simple or preordained.
> determinism is not intellectually honest, only rigorous since it's harder
> to lie to oneself than to tell the truth. unless you're ari fleischer.
>
> I wonder what would be an example from Marx of this sort of thing?

This obsession with 'what Marx said' is one of the weaknesses of Marxism. Marxists have a tendency to see Marx as a sort of prophet whose writings comprise a perfect materialist 'revelation' that can be used to answer all of today's questions. If you read Marxist literature they're constantly referencing things Marx said to support their position and criticizing other Marxists for "revising" Marx or "distorting" his works. Many people on this list have done similar things. It doesn't really matter what Marx thought about this idea or that idea, it matters whether or not that idea is valid or not. So what if Marx said X, just cause he said something doesn't make it true. He died a long time ago, get over it. This treating Marx's writings as some sort of holy revelation gives Marxism a sort of pseudo-religious quality. In practice Marxists often 'interpret' Marx so he says what they want him to say, just as most Christians 'interpret' the bible so it says what they want it to say. Any ism named after a person is inherently dogmatic and inhibits freethought, to one degree or another. I prefer to think for myself instead of follow some old dead guy.

Joe

"If the Nuremberg laws were applied today, then every Post-War American president would have to be hanged." - Noam Chomsky