Determinism

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Jun 29 08:24:21 PDT 2002

>This obsession with 'what Marx said' is one of the weaknesses of
>Marxism. Marxists have a tendency to see Marx as a sort of prophet
>whose writings comprise a perfect materialist 'revelation' that can
>be used to answer all of today's questions. If you read Marxist
>literature they're constantly referencing things Marx said to
>support their position and criticizing other Marxists for "revising"
>Marx or "distorting" his works. Many people on this list have done
>similar things. It doesn't really matter what Marx thought about
>this idea or that idea, it matters whether or not that idea is valid
>or not. So what if Marx said X, just cause he said something
>doesn't make it true. He died a long time ago, get over it. This
>treating Marx's writings as some sort of holy revelation gives
>Marxism a sort of pseudo-religious quality. In practice Marxists
>often 'interpret' Marx so he says what they want him to say, just as
>most Christians 'interpret' the bible so it says what they want it
>to say. Any ism named after a person is inherently dogmatic and
>inhibits freethought, to one degree or another. I prefer to think
>for myself instead of follow some old dead guy.
>
>Joe

You are not "thinking for yourself" here, as what you wrote above simply reproduces an old charge that "Marxism is a secular religion." In fact, the charge that "X is a secular religion with its own dogma" must be at least as old as conservative reactions against modern revolutions in the age of the Enlightenment. Here's an example from Edmund Burke: "It [the French Revolution] is a revolution of doctrine and theoretic dogma. It has a much greater resemblance to those changes which have been made upon religious grounds in which a spirit of proselytism makes an essential part" ("Thoughts on French Affairs," 1791). In short, your rhetoric is stuck on the right in the 18th century! -- Yoshie