Secular religion

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 29 09:11:49 PDT 2002

>You are not "thinking for yourself" here, as what you wrote above simply
>reproduces an old charge that "Marxism is a secular religion." In fact, the
>charge that "X is a secular religion with its own dogma" must be at least
>as old as conservative reactions against modern revolutions in the age of
>the Enlightenment

At the risk of starting this tedious discussion up again, I can't refrai from commenting that MArxism _was_ a secular religion, and many of its remaining adherents still so treat it. The past tense is appropriate: as I have said, Marxism as a movement is dead. The theory is what is left, much of it is true, but it should be treated like any other theory, as a method of analysis, not as an object of faith or a source of meaning in life. The religious Marxists say they do this, and nothing will persuade them otherwise, but in fact they don't. Here on this list people have argued that Marx discovered all the social truths that are discoverable under capitalism! Btw, losing the religious and mythic elements of Marxism has not been a wholly positive thing. But for better or worse they are gone except for the fundamentalists.

jks

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx