Secular religion

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Jun 29 09:56:08 PDT 2002

>>You are not "thinking for yourself" here, as what you wrote above
>>simply reproduces an old charge that "Marxism is a secular
>>religion." In fact, the charge that "X is a secular religion with
>>its own dogma" must be at least as old as conservative reactions
>>against modern revolutions in the age of the Enlightenment
>
>At the risk of starting this tedious discussion up again, I can't
>refrai from commenting that MArxism _was_ a secular religion, and
>many of its remaining adherents still so treat it. The past tense is
>appropriate: as I have said, Marxism as a movement is dead. The
>theory is what is left, much of it is true, but it should be treated
>like any other theory, as a method of analysis, not as an object of
>faith or a source of meaning in life. The religious Marxists say
>they do this, and nothing will persuade them otherwise, but in fact
>they don't. Here on this list people have argued that Marx
>discovered all the social truths that are discoverable under
>capitalism! Btw, losing the religious and mythic elements of Marxism
>has not been a wholly positive thing. But for better or worse they
>are gone except for the fundamentalists.
>
>jks

Marxism as a political theory must have been an object of faith for some -- especially for intellectuals who later became neo-cons (the "God That Failed" syndrome). For others, it just came with a left-wing political milieu in which they happened to find themselves; and it was the milieu, not the theory in itself (with which probably only a tiny minority of them grappled extensively), that gave meaning to their lives. -- Yoshie