Working Class

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Sat Jun 29 22:14:35 PDT 2002

On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Gar Lipow wrote:

> seperate class due it's relation to work. I know the idea that a class
> may be defined on some basis other than relation to the means of
> production is extremely counter-intuitive to Marxists.

The Frankfurt School pointed this out decade and decades ago, i.e. the fact that capitalism is a systemic set of social relations, not reducible to any single moment in the totality. Class identity is the most mysterious, complex, and sophisticated of all mediations in the total system, and there's no short-cut around this complexity. It has to be grappled with, in whatever material is at hand -- the workplace, an aesthetic document, a political ideology, etc.

-- Dennis