Working Class

Joe R. Golowka joeG at ieee.org
Sun Jun 30 16:28:06 PDT 2002

From: "Yoshie Furuhashi" <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>
> The "idea that a class should be defined on some basis other than
> relation to the means of production" seems to me to be the
> commonsense perception that comes naturally, or "intuitively," to
> many under capitalism, especially to those who accept what the mass
> media say about class. Relations to the means of production are the
> last thing that the power elite want you to think about.

How can one admit that a power elite exists and simultaniously claim that class is defined soley by relation to the means of production? If class were defined that way then a power elite would be non-sensical. Class = wealth (relation to the means of production) + power (ability to control other people). I fail to see how such a concept of class is a part of hegemony.

-- Joe R. Golowka JoeG at ieee.org Anarchist FAQ - http://www.anarchyfaq.org

"If the Nuremberg laws were applied today, then every Post-War American president would have to be hanged." - Noam Chomsky