Secular religion

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 30 06:38:31 PDT 2002

>>Marxism was never mainly a political theory. It was a movement. Most
>>Marxists never grappled with the theory. Their Marxism was the milieu. Now
>>the movement is gone forever. All that is left is the theory.
>>
>>jks
>
>It's certainly possible that it's gone forever, but I'm not deterministic.
>;-)
>--
>Yoshie

Me neither. The religion of Zeus might come back too, but I'm not holding my breath. Right now and for the foreseeable future, what remains of the Marxist secular religion is a handful of alienated middle-class sectarians--in the US, maybe a couple of thousand people--and a slightly larger handful of persons like yourself who can't stomach the sectarianism but can't give up the faith. I was like that too. I just couldn't hold it any more. The likelihood that the workers iwll ever rally 'round the old symbols again is vanishingly small. Can you honestly see it? It's time to move on, find a more effective way to organize.

jks