Secular religion

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Jun 30 09:18:08 PDT 2002

>>>Marxism was never mainly a political theory. It was a movement.
>>>Most Marxists never grappled with the theory. Their Marxism was
>>>the milieu. Now the movement is gone forever. All that is left is
>>>the theory.
>>>
>>>jks
>>
>>It's certainly possible that it's gone forever, but I'm not
>>deterministic. ;-)
>>--
>>Yoshie
>
>Me neither. The religion of Zeus might come back too, but I'm not
>holding my breath. Right now and for the foreseeable future, what
>remains of the Marxist secular religion is a handful of alienated
>middle-class sectarians--in the US, maybe a couple of thousand
>people--and a slightly larger handful of persons like yourself who
>can't stomach the sectarianism but can't give up the faith. I was
>like that too. I just couldn't hold it any more. The likelihood that
>the workers iwll ever rally 'round the old symbols again is
>vanishingly small. Can you honestly see it? It's time to move on,
>find a more effective way to organize.
>
>jks

I don't think it's necessary for workers to rally around old symbols. I do think, though, works of Marx, Engels, and other Marxist intellectuals will be "rediscovered" once a mass movement on the Left rises again. The question is if a mass movement on the Left will ever rise again in the USA. Naturally, I believe workers are capable of doing so -- hence my continuing political activism -- but they certainly don't look like they will do so in the near future; then again, things can change very quickly -- who in "the 50s" would have foreseen "the 60s"? -- Yoshie