Determinism

R rhisiart at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 30 13:27:09 PDT 2002

since i'm being dragged into this message backwards by the grammatical third person, i think i'll respond a bit, if no one minds:

Todd Archer wrote:

> Joe said:>
>
> What characterises a "secular religion", anyway, aside from having an
"-ism"
> in its name?

Someplace Engels jokes about the acquaintances who, told that one is an atheist, exclaim "Oh, then atheism is your religion."

takes one to know one, i'd say.

starting out a speech with a little humor is a well accepted rhetorical device, carrol. helps everyone relax.

But notice, this whole discussion has not touched on either marxism or religion. Rather, it has consisted of a series of free-floating assertions about _people_. The argument is not that marxism is a religion. To make that claim would require an analysis of actual marxist positions. Rather Joe & others are claiming to be mindreaders -- they know better than I do what is going on in my head when I affirm a position about the world.

Todd is probably correct about my first response to R -- I made the mistake of responding in the mode he introduced: that is, the mode of talking about the people who hold a give conviction rather than the conviction itself.

we all make mistakes, carrol. it takes a big man to admit todd is "probably" correct.

Justin argues that the theory of surplus value is not a necessary (or even desirable) basis for explaining exploitation. He _doesn't_ (at least ordinarily -- we all slip) say that anyone who believes that theory is a robot, etc. So I can argue with Justin. It's called being principled. One can argue about principles but there is nothing to say in response to someone who engages in reading my mind to describe my secret or unconscious or whatever motivation in holding that conviction.

Rhetoricians have described R's mode of argument as "polluting the waters of discourse."

i'm flattered that those rhetoricians know i exist. probably did a little polluting themselves in their time.

That is, he has attempted to establish a context in which anything I or Yoshie or other "marxist" says is irrelevant and merely proves his position. He does not make statements about marxism. And he pulled both me and to some extent Yoshie into that shithole with him

i think you fell into that hole yourself. a matter of momentum, and of not looking where you're going.

have you gotten out or are you still in there? is this note a plea for someone to throw you a rope?

-- of unprincipled statements about people rather than principled statements about theoretical or practical positions.

Carrol

carrol please stop casting yourself as being so picked on and misunderstood. the roll of victim doesn't become you. i'm not trying to read your mind. i've enough just dealing with my own mind.

I admire anyone, you and yoshie if the shoe fits, who can hold onto "marxist" beliefs for so many years in a society which is so totally hostile to that kind of belief system.

frankly, carrol, i'm generally more interested in the people who hold the ideas than in the ideas themselves. after several years of reading and discourse, anyone can pontificate. a rhetorician. or a psychotherapist, might refer to this as keeping people at a distance -- or an "intellectual defense."

i always wonder about people who'd rather keep all discourse on a wholely abstract and intellectual level, ignoring or putting down the human element that shapes thought and human affairs, while referring to other's opinions as a "shithole." don't you?