David Lynch

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 2 08:07:21 PST 2002

>Or, as my poetry profs like Henry Carlyle like to say, "If you've
>got a message, send it Western Union". Red propaganda dressed up in
>tired cliches is not art.
>
>Miles

Nothing dressed up in tired cliches is (good) art, but that is because it cliched, not because it has a message. Lots of great art has a message:

Rise like lions after slumber In unvanquishable number Shake to earth the chains like dew That in sleep have fall'n on you Ye are many, They are few!

--Shelly, The Masque of Anarchy

A simple message, no slants, directly spoken, and as fresh today as it was in 1817. Western union couldn't improve it.

jks