Nietzsche and the Nazis (Was Re: aesthetics)

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 4 05:27:51 PST 2002

>Justin Schwartz:
> > ... An
> > author, especially (as Andrew Kliman reminds us) a dead one, cannot be
>held
> > responsible for every vile misuse of his words. Please, let's talk about
> > Nietzsche's views, but leavr the Nazis out of it.
>
>The bad readings of a writer are still part of the reading.
>To exclude them is to miss something, maybe something very
>important.

Sure, but we were talking about Nietzsche's views, and whether you could pin the Nazis on him. Their "readings," such as they were, of that odd fish are part of political history, not the history of philosophy. They pinned themselves onto him--in my view with less justification even than the way the Stalinists pinnedthemselves on Marx.

jks