Nietzsche and the Nazis (Was Re: aesthetics)

Bradford DeLong jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu
Mon Mar 4 08:34:34 PST 2002

>> > ... An
>> > author, especially (as Andrew Kliman reminds us) a dead one,
>>cannot be held
>>> responsible for every vile misuse of his words. Please, let's talk about
>>> Nietzsche's views, but leavr the Nazis out of it.
>>
>>The bad readings of a writer are still part of the reading.
>>To exclude them is to miss something, maybe something very
>>important.
>>

>Sure, but we were talking about Nietzsche's views, and whether you
>could pin the Nazis on him. Their "readings," such as they were, of
>that odd fish are part of political history, not the history of
>philosophy. They pinned themselves onto him--in my view with less
>justification even than the way the Stalinists pinnedthemselves on
>Marx.

Ah. But certain "bad readings" are predictable. If you are Nietzsche, fearful of Prussian militarism and anxious to achieve the furious intensity of the moral equivalent of war, you give future genocidal tyrants hostages with passages like "monsters filled with joy, they can return from a fearful succession of murder, arson, rape, and torture with the same joy in their hearts, the same contentment in their souls as if they had indulged in some student's rag," "to judge morality properly, it must be replaced by two concepts borrowed from zoology: the taming of a beast and the breeding of a specific species," or "thou goest to woman? Do not forget thy whip!" Similarly, if you leave key phrases like the "abolition of private property" swinging free and without definition in your work, you have little ground on which to complain when people interpret you as calling for the construction of a command economy modelled on how Ludendorff mobilized Germany for World War I.

A competent philosopher writes in such a way as to make it hard--not easy--for misreaders...

Brad DeLong