Nietzsche and the Nazis (Was Re: aesthetics)

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Mon Mar 4 20:45:42 PST 2002

Brad wrote:

>A competent philosopher writes in such a way as to make it hard--not
>easy--for misreaders...

Nothing is easier than misreading. No philosopher is more competent than Plato, and none more aware of the propensity to misread, but none has been more misread, and in more different ways.

Shane Mage

"When we read on a printed page the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems mystical, mystifying, even downright silly.

When we read on a computer screen the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems self-evidently true." (N. Weiner)