Nietzsche and the Nazis (Was Re: aesthetics)

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Tue Mar 5 05:05:42 PST 2002

Brad wrote:
> >A competent philosopher writes in such a way as to make it hard--not
> >easy--for misreaders...

Shane Mage:
> Nothing is easier than misreading. No philosopher is more competent
> than Plato, and none more aware of the propensity to misread,
> but none has been more misread, and in more different ways.

Misreading is fruitful, it gives energy, it produces progeny. That which can't be misread is terminally fixed, dead. Hence the danger in misreading -- Jesus can lead to Torquemada and Pius XI. But also the opportunity, without which we might as well not read at all, but find a nice warm cave, and stay in it forever.

-- Gordon